note: additional fee required for all pre-conference seminars
Saturday, July 21
Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® "The Preventive Techniques"
10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Presnter: Susan Keith, Crisis Prevention Institute
$149 ($199 after 6/25/12)Max Class Size: 40
CPI’s Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® training program is a safe, nonharmful behavior management system designed to help educators and other human service professionals provide for the best possible Care, Welfare, Safety, and SecuritySM of disruptive, assaultive, and out-of-control individuals—even during their most violent moments. This session gives you a basic understanding of the program’s proven crisis intervention methods and teaches you how to apply them in a school environment.
The Preventive Techniques focuses on early intervention and nonphysical methods for preventing or managing challenging behavior. The six-hour session offers a framework for organizing your thinking about how student behavior escalates and strategies for safely responding when it does.
You’ll learn how to:
- Identify behaviors that could lead to a crisis.
- Most effectively respond to each type of behavior in order to prevent a situation from escalating.
- Use verbal and nonverbal techniques to defuse hostile behavior and resolve a crisis before it becomes violent.
- Cope with your own fear and anxiety.
- Use CPI’s Principles of Personal Safety and CPI’s Personal Safety TechniquesSM to avoid injury to yourself and others if the behavior becomes physical.
- Bring about necessary closure, debriefing, and re-establishment of a therapeutic rapport with the individuals involved in a crisis situation.
NHTSA Child Passenger Safety Restraint Systems on School Buses
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Presenters: Charley Kennington, Sue Shutrump
$99 ($149 after 6/25/12)
This eight-hour course addresses the unique issues of installing Child Safety Restraint Systems and utilizes the revised curriculum approved by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to teach the proper use and installation of CSRS on school buses. All of the requirements to participating in this course are completed on-site. Upon completion, attendees will receive three Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from Safe Kids Worldwide.