|ASBC Releases More About the Benefits of School Buses|
|Written by Janna Smeltzer|
WASHINGTON, D.C. — According to a press release sent out today by the American School Bus Council (ASBC), the 480,000 school buses currently on the road are saving the country 2.3 billion gallons of fuel annually, which works out to more than $8 billion.
"We encourage parents to take advantage of the school bus transportation system to not only safely transport their children to school, but also to help increase the positive economic impact that school buses have on individual families and communities," said Terry Thomas, president and CEO of Community Bus Services and a member of ASBC.
The announcement is part of the organization’s efforts to encourage parents to understand the benefits to having their kids "Get on the Bus."
Other statistics included:
The group also added a new online fuel calculator on its Web site that offers districts the ability to calculate the possible economic and environmental impact of school bus service.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 November 2009 12:00|
The verdict is in: School districts can be held liable for the criminal behavior of bus drivers and aides who abuse students in their charge. In recent news reports about sexual-abuse lawsuits involving the Olympia (Wash.), North Branch (Minn.) and Newburgh (N.Y.) School Districts, the operative terms are “negligent” and “failed to prevent.”Read more
Tens of thousands of females nationwide are school bus drivers, routers, dispatchers, trainers, supervisors and directors. But few work in the garage. For the past 30 years, Aneliese Hessekiel has helped grease the wheels of student transportation in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley.Read more
Dawn Lair manages a fleet of eight school buses, four vans, three cars and five trucks in the Live Oak Unified School District in northern California. She is one of three women profiled in our March magazine edition.Read more
Recent Blog Posts
Most Popular This Month
- STN EXPO Keynote to Discuss How School Bus Fosters Education Equity
- NHTSA Final Rule Amends FMVSS 111 to Require Rearview Backup Cameras
- Updated: Idaho Passes Law to Better Protect School Bus Drivers, Riders
- Florida School District Places Single Largest Order of Propane School Buses, Says Blue Bird
- New York School Bus Contractor Launches Custom Child-Check Technology Solution
- Study Looks at How Motorists Pay Attention to School Buses
- School Districts Throughout Texas Piloting New Student Safety Management System
- Utah School District Pilots 13-Video-Camera System on Bus
- Update: Four Children Die in School Transportation–Related Accidents in One Week
- Houston ISD Awarded a Telly for Its ‘School Bus Shuffle’ Safety Video