|ASBC Releases More About the Benefits of School Buses|
|Written by Janna Smeltzer|
WASHINGTON, D.C. — According to a press release sent out today by the American School Bus Council (ASBC), the 480,000 school buses currently on the road are saving the country 2.3 billion gallons of fuel annually, which works out to more than $8 billion.
"We encourage parents to take advantage of the school bus transportation system to not only safely transport their children to school, but also to help increase the positive economic impact that school buses have on individual families and communities," said Terry Thomas, president and CEO of Community Bus Services and a member of ASBC.
The announcement is part of the organization’s efforts to encourage parents to understand the benefits to having their kids "Get on the Bus."
Other statistics included:
The group also added a new online fuel calculator on its Web site that offers districts the ability to calculate the possible economic and environmental impact of school bus service.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 November 2009 12:00|
Dawn Lair manages a fleet of eight school buses, four vans, three cars and five trucks in the Live Oak Unified School District in northern California. She is one of three women profiled in our March magazine edition.Read more
This winter’s slew of snowstorms has closed hundreds of schools for days on end, often because their yellow buses would not start or roads were impassable. Many school districts and bus contractors kept buses up and running by using electrical block heaters, and still others implemented new programming technology to maximize efficiency and to save money — not to mention school days.Read more
Victoria Arlen is a bullet in the water. The 19-year-old is so fast that she won a gold medal and three silver medals in London two years ago. And she's paralyzed from the waist down.Read more
Recent Blog Posts
Most Popular This Month
- NASDPTS Publishes Position Supporting 3-point Seat Belts on all School Buses
- Update: Wyoming Legislature Approves School Bus Video Cameras
- High Schooler Hit and Killed Crossing Busy Road to Catch Bus
- Updated: Amended Indiana Bill Allowing School Bus Advertising Passes Senate
- Updated: Pennsylvania Senate Passes Bill to Allow Audio Recordings on School Buses
- Kentucky School Bus Driver Found at Fault in Fatal Crash Sues OEM
- Updated: Iowa DOE Releases Report, Will Allow Sensor Systems on School Buses
- U.S. Secretary of Transportation on Board for ‘Love the Bus’
- School Bus Contractor Closes Acquisition of Atlantic Express' California Business
- Illinois Parents Sue School District Over Son’s Unsafe Bus Stop