|ASBC Releases More About the Benefits of School Buses|
|Written by Janna Smeltzer|
WASHINGTON, D.C. — According to a press release sent out today by the American School Bus Council (ASBC), the 480,000 school buses currently on the road are saving the country 2.3 billion gallons of fuel annually, which works out to more than $8 billion.
"We encourage parents to take advantage of the school bus transportation system to not only safely transport their children to school, but also to help increase the positive economic impact that school buses have on individual families and communities," said Terry Thomas, president and CEO of Community Bus Services and a member of ASBC.
The announcement is part of the organization’s efforts to encourage parents to understand the benefits to having their kids "Get on the Bus."
Other statistics included:
The group also added a new online fuel calculator on its Web site that offers districts the ability to calculate the possible economic and environmental impact of school bus service.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 November 2009 12:00|
Larry Hannon of Warminster, Pa., might just be the best school bus driver ever. He is the winner of a record eight National School Transportation Association (NSTA) International Safety Competitions, or “roadeos.”Read more
Santa Monica is world renowned for its beaches and the celebrities who frequent them. The city has long served as home to some of the most powerful players in Hollywood and is a world-class tourist destination. Yet, like other towns and counties across the U.S., it has its own challenges when it comes to transporting students to and from school.Read more
With interest increasing nationwide on how to set up school bus stop-arm enforcement programs with local police and court systems, another partnership is coming to market to provide municipalities with solutions. Seon announced in late March that it and Illinois-based RedSpeed USA are teaming up to target motorists who illegally pass stopped school buses.Read more
Recent Blog Posts
Most Popular This Month
- Creative Bus Sales and Starcraft Bus Debut New Conventional Variable Alt-Fuel School Bus
- Full STN EXPO Workshop Schedule Released; Registration Deal Extended
- Motiv Power Systems Gains Funding, Readies Next Electric Bus for Northern California District
- School Buses Drive Freedom Ride for 50th Anniversary of Civil Rights Act
- Calls Made for Adoption of Diesel Gallon Equivalent Standard for Natural Gas Vehicles
- More Propane-Powered School Buses Hitting Wisconsin Roads This Fall
- NSTA Crowns Winners of School Bus Driver International Safety Competition
- Cummins Ethanol Engine Demo Shows Promise for Potential Future Application to School Buses
- Roundup: Mother's Perspective on Special Needs Training, Indie Film on Leaving Students on Buses
- South Carolina Bus Driver Goes Above and Beyond Call of Duty