|ASBC Releases More About the Benefits of School Buses|
|Written by Janna Smeltzer|
WASHINGTON, D.C. — According to a press release sent out today by the American School Bus Council (ASBC), the 480,000 school buses currently on the road are saving the country 2.3 billion gallons of fuel annually, which works out to more than $8 billion.
"We encourage parents to take advantage of the school bus transportation system to not only safely transport their children to school, but also to help increase the positive economic impact that school buses have on individual families and communities," said Terry Thomas, president and CEO of Community Bus Services and a member of ASBC.
The announcement is part of the organization’s efforts to encourage parents to understand the benefits to having their kids "Get on the Bus."
Other statistics included:
The group also added a new online fuel calculator on its Web site that offers districts the ability to calculate the possible economic and environmental impact of school bus service.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 November 2009 12:00|
Over the summer Charles "Josh" Davis, accepted the director of transportation position at Henrico County Public Schools serving the Richmond, Va., area after being the chief financial officer at Albermarle County for nearly five years.Read more
Though sequestration took effect last spring, many school districts felt the pain of losing federal dollars this fall, and schools on military bases face even deeper budget cuts that could impact their bus service.Read more
With the 2013 NAPT Summit weeks away, student transportation professionals are looking forward to learning from others, addressing common issues and creating positive working relationships — goals the national organization is also achieving abroad, in countries like the United Arab Emirates.Read more
Recent Blog Posts
Most Popular This Month
- Sanchez Fuentes to Leave Office of Head Start
- Family, Coworkers Mourn Utah School Bus Driver Killed in Crash
- Allied Specialty Vehicles Forms Bus Division To Be Helmed by Former Collins Chief
- New Lighting System Helps to ‘Guard’ Students Boarding Buses in the Dark
- Operation Lifesaver to Release Interactive Driver Training Module on Safe Railroad Crossings
- Atlantic Express Shutting its Doors After Failed Union Negotiations
- U.S. Senate Unanimously Passes School Bus Safety Resolution Promoted by CSN
- $350K Settlement Reached in Pennsylvania School Bus Stop Death
- CORRECTION: American Cooling Technologies Names Oberdorff President and CEO
- SoCal School District Breaks Ground on New CNG Station for Its Buses, Public