- "The Safety of School Transportation"
By Derek Graham, North Carolina State Director & NASPDTS Past-President
For SEEN Magazine (SouthEast Education Network)
- "Dear Colleague Guidance on Bullying and Harassment" and Fact Sheet
Office of Civil Right, U.S. Department of Education
Oct. 26, 2010 letter
- NHTSA Letter to State DMV Commissioners on Non-Conforming Vans
Dec. 2, 2010 letter communicates need to contact owners of nine-, 12- and 15-passenger vans of the roll-over risks of these vehicles in crashes.
- NHTSA Advisory Cautioning Consumers on 15-Passenger Vans
Oct. 14, 2010 advisory that includes language that "pre-primary, primary and secondary schools should not use 15-passenger vans for transporting school children, as they do not provide the same level of safety as school buses."
- Special Safety Concerns of the School Bus Industry, October 2009
- Terrorism Preparedness Guidelines: New York State Education Department
- North Carolina School Bus Safety: Safety and Security Training Offerings
- Addressing Security Risks in School Transportation: Points of View by Pete Baxter, Charles Guathier and John Green. Source: TRB News 237, March-April 2005
- Homeland Security Operations Center (HSOC)
- Department of Homeland Security
- Ready.gov from the Department of Homeland Security
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools Technical Assistance Center: The center, part of the U.S. Department of Education, disseminates information about emergency management to help school districts learn more about developing, implementing, and evaluating crisis plans.
- Transportation Security Administration
- Transportation Research Board's Transportation Emergency Response Preparedness Information
- Office of Safe & Drug-free Schools at the U.S. Department of Education
- Operation Safe Stop is a law enforcement and education initiative addressing the problem of motorists who illegally pass stopped school buses. It is a cooperative effort between the student transportation industry and state, county, city and local law enforcement.
- Assessment of the Fire Performance of School Bus Interior Components (July 1990)
Final report from U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Center for Fire Research
- Evaulation of the Rollover Propensity of Fifteen-Passenger Vans (Oct. 15, 2002)
National Transportation Safety Board
- 15-Passenger Van Use by Public School Districts in Illinois (Feb. 27, 2006)
A doctoral dissertation by Dr. Mary Brown, Chief Financial Officer
Evanston-Skokie (Ill.) School District 65
- 15-Passenger Van Safety (June 2011)
BrightFleet.com, a hazard-perception evaluation and risk mitigation Web site for drivers, published research to assist fleet owners in understanding the dynamics of the 15-passenger van, and what makes it a greater risk than most vehicles for collisions and rollovers.
- Flammability Standards for School Buses (October 2011)
A position paper from the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation that explains current national standards and federal regulations for fire safety in and on school buses.
Last modified onFriday, 01 June 2018 11:58