The results of the report, recently added to the 38-year record on STNOnline.com, show five students from five states died in the boarding and alighting process. In reports for the two years prior, seven and 13 children were killed. As in years past, passing motorists proved to be a significant danger, with four of the students being fatally struck by vehicles other than the school bus.
In the last 38 years, 1,153 children have died while loading and unloading. According to the report, 67 percent of these were eight years old or younger.
- Calif. School District Faces Backlash Over Busing Cuts
- New Volvo Models First to Make Bendix Flagship Driver Assistance Technology Standard
- Mobile to Spike Telematics Market By 2022, Study Says
- U.S. Rep Calls for Federal School Bus Seat Belt Mandate
- TomTom and GPSi Offer New Connected Mobility Solution for School Bus and Motorcoach Operators