The results of the report, recently added to the 38-year record on STNOnline.com, show five students from five states died in the boarding and alighting process. In reports for the two years prior, seven and 13 children were killed. As in years past, passing motorists proved to be a significant danger, with four of the students being fatally struck by vehicles other than the school bus.
In the last 38 years, 1,153 children have died while loading and unloading. According to the report, 67 percent of these were eight years old or younger.
- NTSB’s Hart Provides Insights from School Bus Crash Investigations
- ACC Climate Control and Vanner Inc. unveil Revolutionary Technology for School Buses at NAPT Conference
- Beauty and Brains: "Little Miss Antelope Valley" Saves School Bus Driver
- Industry Officials Learn Parent Perspectives on School Buses, Drivers
- Arkansas Pre-K Student Brings Gun on School Bus