The natural gas industry are rallying in support of a diesel gallon equivalent standard that will be introduced at the National Conference of Weights and Measures next week in Detroit. A gasoline equivalent for CNG has existed since 1994 but not for LNG. A new standard would allow both CNG and LNG to be sold in a way that allows for ready comparison with diesel fuel at retail stations.
Advocates say a diesel equivalent "will have lasting effects on the future of the industry." Among supporters are the American Gas Association, the American Public Gas Association, America's Natural Gas Alliance and NGVAmerica as well as the American Trucking Associations. Also lending support of the new DGE standard are Gov. John Hickenlooper of Colorado, Gov. Mary Fallin of Okahoma, Gov. Tom Corbett of Pennsylvania, Gov. Gary Herbert of Utah and 54 members of the U.S. House of Representatives.
"The adoption of the DGE standard would provide greater uniformity and clarity for the continued use of natural gas as a transportation fuel," said NGVAmerica President Richard Kolodziej.
NGVAmerica said the current gasoline equivalent standard has benefited both the consumers and industry because it provides a common unit for comparing the cost of CNG and gasoline. A new DGE standard is needed, officials added, because current rules do not address LNG, and increasingly CNG and LNG are being used in heavy-duty applications for which diesel fuel is the dominant fuel. The associatoin noted that the DGE standard is universally supported by the industry and would allow for the ready comparison of CNG and LNG with diesel.
"When people make business decisions, they want an easy way to make comparisons," added Amy Farrell, a vice president of America's Natural Gas Alliance. "This is a good, common-sense direction that is consistent and understandable."
- School Buses Assist as Teacher Walkouts Cancel Classes
- International Truck and IC Bus Showcase Advanced Technologies at Green Transportation Summit & Expo
- ACT EXPO Roundtable to Focus on School Bus Replacements
- Canadian Pupil Transportation Conference Heads Niagara Falls
- Navistar: On Schedule with Benefits from Volkswagen Alliance
Latest from Ryan Gray
- Parents of Girl Killed in Iowa School Bus Fire Sue District
- NHTSA Close to Studying Effect of Seat Belts on Student Behavior
- N.Y. School District Named Transfinder Ambassador of Year
- Video Shows Teacher Dragging Student Off School Bus By Legs
- Volkswagen Truck & Bus Acquisition of Navistar 'Possible'