The National School Transportation Association said the deadline is approaching to submit nominees for nine awards being given out this summer at its Annual Meeting and Convention held in Greensboro, North Carolina.
NSTA said all nominations must be received by end of business on May 6. More information on the awards, their requirements and the submission process is found online.
Here is a rundown of the awards:
- First awarded in 1969, the Golden Merit Award recognizes excellence in service, safety, and community responsibility.
- The Hall of Fame Award, first given in 1992, recognizes excellence in long-term efforts.
The Distinguished Service Award recognizes special contributions made to pupil transportation contracting. This award was first given in 1993.
- The Thomas Built Buses, Inc., Continuing Education and Professional Growth Grant is given to a member contractor or staff to support continuing education. This grant was first awarded in 1994.
- The Outstanding Driver Service Award is given to a school bus driver who has demonstrated exemplary safety performance and a commitment to excellence. This award was created in 2002.
- The Outstanding School Transportation Administrator Award was created in 2006 to recognize school transportation administrators who share our commitment to the safe transportation of our nation's school children.
- The Go Yellow, Go Green Award was created to recognize a leader in the school bus industry who has demonstrated initiative and commitment in pursuing positive responses to growing environmental concerns. A single award may be presented annually to the NSTA member who, through corporate practice and industry leadership, best demonstrates the principles of NSTA's Go Yellow, Go Green campaign.
- In 2009, NSTA established the Meritorious Service Award to recognize an individual who has displayed unparalleled vision, support and leadership toward improving pupil transportation safety and the promotion of NSTA as well as the entire school bus industry.
- NSTA's Green Fleet Certification is also available for NSTA member operators, and other school bus operators wishing to be recognized for their efforts in striving to operate a more emissions responsible fleet.