School bus contractor First Student named second grader Richard Xu of Jericho, New York, as the newest winner of the company’s inagural artwork contest for his depiction of the theme, “Happiness Starts with Yellow.”
Xu attends George A. Jackson School, which is receiving $1,000 from First Student for classroom supplies. First Student also said Xu’s artwork will be featured in the June issue of American School Board Journal.
“Participating in the artwork contest provided our students with a great opportunity to show their appreciation for the role the school bus plays in their lives,” said Jackson School Principal Benny D’Aquila. “We are proud of Richard for the creativity he showed in creating the winning entry.”
The school bus contractor said it is awarding a total of $12,000 this year, or about one award a month, to school district customers nationwide for winning entries from their students. First Student selected the first winning entry from the St. Louis Public School District in January. Lejla Husetovic from Buder Elementary created artwork that shows a First Student bus outside of her school with her classmates on a picture-perfect day.
“Nothing symbolizes the start and end of every school day more than the yellow school bus,” said First Student President Dennis R. Maple. “We recognize the important role we play in each child’s school day, and through this artwork contest, we get a chance to see what riding a First Student bus means to the students we serve.”
- Convicted Chattanooga School Bus Driver Charged With Statutory Rape
- Calif. County Grand Jury Calls for New School Bus Program
- Propane School Bus Registrations Jumped 700 Percent
- Fired Facebook Critic of ‘Horrible School Bus Drivers’ Wins Lawsuit & Job Back
- Atlanta School Bus Driver Fired for Texting & Driving
Latest from Ryan Gray
- Superior Energy VP Receives National Propane Gas Association Safety Award
- School Bus Aide Arrested When Video Shows Assault on Student
- JVCKENWOOD Announces Nationwide NEXEDGE® System Interactive Map
- Clean Energy Shareholders Overwhelmingly Approve Total’s Equity Investment
- Eaton Cummins Procision Transmission Has Better Performance, Lower Costs