The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has recently announced it will hold a listening session open to the public relating to issues of design, development, testing and deployment of highly automated vehicles (HAV).
As mentioned on the FMCSA website, HAVs provide "enormous" potential benefits for safety, mobility and sustainability.
The listening session will provide the audience with opportunities to share their views and opinions on various data or analysis presented on the topic with agency representatives.
All comments from in-person participants, as well as those via the internet, will be received by FMCSA.
FMCSA said it ultimately seeks information on behalf of the listeners relating to issues that need proper attention to ensure appropriate federal safety regulation standards are being enforced for the entire HAV operation.
Specifically, FMCSA welcomes comments pertaining to the application of the following regulatory provisions:
- Commercial Driver’s Licenses
- Qualification of Drivers
- Use of electronic devices
- Hours of Service of Drivers
- Inspection, Repair and Maintenance
All comments will be transcribed by FMCSA and will be placed in a docket.
The listening session will be held on Monday, April 24, 2017, from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. (ET). FMCSA will webcast the entire proceeding.
For more information visit fmcsa.dot.gov
School Transportation News will be addressing the HAV topic as it relates to school buses today and in the future at the annual STN EXPO Conference in Reno, Nevada this summer.
- Watch: School Districts, Bus Contractors Focus on Student Safety
- Durham School Services Demos Operations for Iowa Mayor
- School Bus Safety Company, Inc. Supports National School Bus Safety Week
- The Top 5 Things to Look for in a Fleet Maintenance System
- Charlotte School Bus Explosion Forces Students to Flee
Latest from Gabriela Mungarro
- Tiny Smart Earbud Provides Life Saving Alerts
- ADOMANI Makes Further Progress to Become First to List on NASDAQ through Equity Crowdfunding
- Cummins Guidanz Mobile App Improves Customer Uptime
- Wheelchair Mobility: How Far Has It Progressed?
- Blue Bird to Offer School Buses with Allison Transmission's FuelSense 2.0