Thomas Built Buses displayed its first school bus equipped with the new Detroit Diesel DD5 diesel engine at the North American Commercial Vehicle Show.
The inline four-cylinder, 210- to 230-hp DD5 was first displayed at the NAPT Summit last fall and later at trade shows like the STN EXPO, along with the 7.7-liter, inline six-cylinder DD8 with a range of 260-350hp and 660- to 1,050 pounds per foot of torque. But the North American Commercial Vehicle Show in Atlanta provided the first opportunity to see a school bus ready to roll with one of the engines.
Thomas displayed its flagship Saf-T-Liner C2 with the DD5 at the Daimler Trucks North America booth. The parent company of Thomas said the DD5 features top-load oil and fuel filters and the longest service intervals in its class at up to 45,000 miles. It also meets 2017 EPA Greenhouse Gas standards.
The DD5 also features the Detroit™ Connect Virtual Technician remote diagnostic service. Daimler Trucks said drivers or fleet managers are notified within minutes of the cause of engine codes as well as suggestions on how the fault can be resolved and which parts may be needed to fix the problem.
Critical faults are sent to the Detroit Customer Support Center, where an expert analyzes the fault event and provides additional detail to the fleet. Full fault event details, including fault event diagnostics, history and trends are available via the new Detroit Connect portal.
“This level of engine technology is a game changer for the pupil transportation market,” said Caley Edgerly, president and CEO for Thomas. “Never before have diesel engines been cleaner, more fuel efficient or easier to maintain. Our partners at Detroit have engineered the best engine for today’s industry from the ground up.”
Daimler Trucks reiterated previous guidance that both the DD5 and DD8 engines will be available in Thomas school bus models next year.
- Vehicle Lifts Must Pass Tougher Testing to Earn ALI Gold Label
- Detroit Diesel Remanufacturing & Bosh Celebrate 10-Year Anniversary of North America Fuel Systems Remanufacturing
- U.S. is Now the No. 1 Crude Oil Producer in the World
- IC Bus Finishes 11th Year of Tech Training
- Diesel Prices Are Rising But Will Likely Fall After Christmas
Latest from Ryan Gray
- How Will New FMCSA Diabetes Rule Affect School Bus Drivers?
- Video Exonerates School Bus Driver Accused by Students
- EPA Extends Clean Diesel Tribal Grant Applications Timeline
- Calif. Law Addresses School Buses Without 3-Point Seat Belts
- Corrected: Former CEO of School Bus Video Firm Pleads Guilty to Fraud