LONG BEACH, CALIF. — Motiv Power Systems is equipping its electrified Ford E-450 EPIC-4 chassis for Collins Bus, and in the process, is further expanding the Type-A ZEV school bus market.
Motiv also provides an electrified E-450 chassis to Trans Tech, as well as an electrified Ford F59 chassis to California dealer Creative Bus Sales, for the Type C Starcraft QuestXL.
Kash Sethi, director of sales for Motiv, told School Transportation News on Wednesday at the Advanced Clean Transportation EXPO that several Calif. school districts have already applied for grants to purchase the new Collins electric.
All Motiv chassis automatically qualify under the California Air Resources Board for the state’s Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Incentive Program, or HVIP, which provides up to $220,000 to offset the incremental purchase price. Sethi said school districts can also participate in any CARB funding program through local air quality management districts or via the Carl Moyer program. They can also eventually apply for Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Fund dollars.
Motiv is a Ford eQVM provider, which Sethi explained keeps the factory warranty intact for all customers. He said the relationship with Ford eases the ability for Motiv to convert the chassis to electric, which in turn allows body builders to bring the vehicle “fast to market.”
He also told School Transportation News that Motiv is in the process of receiving Ford-approved glider chassis that will further accelerate production and reduce costs.
The new Collins electric is expected to deliver in time for the new school year, Sethi added. Additionally, about 20 new Starcraft QuestXL’s are destined for around 10 California school districts.
- Vehicle Lifts Must Pass Tougher Testing to Earn ALI Gold Label
- Detroit Diesel Remanufacturing & Bosh Celebrate 10-Year Anniversary of North America Fuel Systems Remanufacturing
- IC Bus Finishes 11th Year of Tech Training
- Registration Now Open for 2019 TSD Conference; Save $150
- Navistar Reports Third Quarter 2018 Results
Latest from Ryan Gray
- How Will New FMCSA Diabetes Rule Affect School Bus Drivers?
- Video Exonerates School Bus Driver Accused by Students
- EPA Extends Clean Diesel Tribal Grant Applications Timeline
- Calif. Law Addresses School Buses Without 3-Point Seat Belts
- Corrected: Former CEO of School Bus Video Firm Pleads Guilty to Fraud