Jury selection began in the trial of Sgt. Joshua Block, the Camp Lejeune Marine accused with the death of 16-year-old David Palacios last spring, reports JDNews.com.
Block struck Palacios on March 27 as the high school student crossed the street to catch in his school bus. Block faces felony charges of involuntary manslaughter and passing a stopped school bus causing death.
The Marine was reportedly driving home at 6:40 a.m. the day of Palacios death to retrieve his forgotten ID. Highway Patrol officers said Block was traveling in the opposite direction of the stopped school bus with its red lights flashing and stop arm extended.
Block reportedly performed CPR on Palacios after hitting him, but the boy died from his injuries at a nearby hospital.
Latest from Ryan Gray
- Parents of Girl Killed in Iowa School Bus Fire Sue District
- NHTSA Close to Studying Effect of Seat Belts on Student Behavior
- N.Y. School District Named Transfinder Ambassador of Year
- Video Shows Teacher Dragging Student Off School Bus By Legs
- Volkswagen Truck & Bus Acquisition of Navistar 'Possible'