LAUSD seeks Director of Transportation to lead one of the largest transportation fleets in the nation.
Salary up to $184,718.00 PLUS a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid insurance premiums and unlimited accrued sick days. Must have Bachelor’s degree and minimum five years of combined management experience. Please visit LAUSDjobs.org for more information and to apply.
Who We Are
We are Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), the second largest school district in the United States. Our contributions here impact our number one customers - the 600,000 plus K-12 students of LAUSD. With over 1,000 job titles to choose from, build your rewarding career here by joining nearly 30,000 employees, and achieve new levels of success in your career!
The Transportation Division provides home to school/school to school busing services every school day. In addition, the Division provides other types of bus trips each year, such as class field trips, academic shuttles, parent buses, late activity buses, and athletic team buses. Transportation Division buses drive over 20.5 million miles annually in support of District programs. Additionally, the Division operates the largest alternative fuel school bus fleet in the nation: 600 CNG, 100 ultra-low emission, and 141 propane buses.
Who We Are Looking For
We are seeking a Director of Transportation to join a team of executives within the Office of Educational Services at LAUSD to plan, direct, and coordinate the activities of the Transportation Services Division through managers and staff. Administrative direction is received from the Chief Executive Officer, Educational Services.
Salary Schedule: Up to $184,718.00 PLUS a comprehensive benefits package (see below)
What This Position Does
- Ensures that services, equipment, vehicles, facilities, and procedures, including personnel management policies and procedures, conform to applicable regulations and District policies;
- Plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the dispatching, operation, inspection, maintenance, repair, and storage of school buses and other District vehicles;
- Formulates and implements changes in rules, regulations, policies and procedures affecting the Transportation Services Division;
- Establishes, manages, monitors, and administers external contracts for facilities, materials and student transportation services, including forecasting the need for contracted services, procurement planning, contract development, quality assurance, performance monitoring, and management of the services;
- Manages or assists in managing Division communications activities relative to staff, other organizations, the media, and the public;
- Establishes and maintains effective and collaborative labor and management relationship and represents the Division in labor negotiations;
- Establishes and promotes the use of technology in routing, maintenance, and management of the Division;
- Directs, reviews, and participates in studies to analyze and evaluate needs and services; amount and type of equipment, supplies and human resources; feasibility and cost effectiveness; and other aspects of management;
- Prepares and presents reports to committees of the Board of Education;
- Maintains District’s “white fleet” replacement plan, assists departments in their capital planning for such vehicles; and sets replacement standards and specifications to meet District needs.
The duties listed above are not exhaustive. To learn more about this position, please visit www.lausdjobs.org
What We Provide
Insurance: Paid premiums for your choice of several medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans for you and your family.
Retirement: Membership in the California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS).
Vacation: 24 days each year
Paid Holidays: 12 days
Unlimited Accrual Paid Illness Days
What We Expect
Education: Graduation from a recognized college or university with a bachelor’s degree*, preferably in business or public administration, transportation management, logistics or a related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of combined management experience in bus and truck transportation services having at least 100 routes daily, of which three (3) of those years must be in bus transportation services OR five (5) years of management experience in bus transportation services, in a school district having at least 100 routes daily OR a public or private organization having at least 100 routes daily, including experience managing at least one (1) of the following functions: planning, routing and operation, and maintenance.
Special: A valid California Driver License and use of an automobile
How to Apply
Please visit LAUSDjobs.org and click on “Jobs Open to the Public” to learn more and apply!