The annual Wisconsin School Bus Association Driver of the Year Award received seven nominations this year, while the annual Mechanic of the Year Award received three nominees.
“All nominees were worthy of recognition for the dedication they have shown for Wisconsin’s students,” association officials said. The Annual Convention Lunch on Wednesday, June 20, which WSBA sponsors, attracted a record 150 people, including past-presidents and spouses. Each of the drivers and mechanics were presented with an Excellence plaque, plus had their story read to the audience, including their number of years of service.
The association congratulated the following persons and companies for the hard work and dedication:
- Larry Leverton—currently works for Lamers Bus Lines and has been a school bus driver over 60 years for Monroe School District. He has only missed one day of work.
- Harry “Sonny” Nemitz—has been a school bus driver for 53 years in the Westfield School District. Sonny has never had a moving violation and continues to have a perfect driving record.
- David “Pete” Lunde—has been a school bus driver at Necedah Area School District for 43 years.
- Edward Erickson—has been a school bus mechanic for 34 years at Westby Area School District, starting right after high school.
- Doug Bockenhaur—has been driving 30 years for the School District of Arcadia. His is a great role model for Arcadia’s students.
- Mark Fellmeth—has been the lead technician at the Delavan/Walworth Dousman Transport location for 24 years. Mark is a Certified ASE Master School Bus Technician.
- Jay Lett—has been a school bus mechanic at Kobussen Buses for 20 years. Jay manages two shops for Kobussen Buses, and helps drive and fill in on bus routes.
- Trudy Serres—has been a school bus driver at Oconomowoc Transport for 11 years. Trudy’s hard work and dedication has warmed many young lives and made them feel very special. She has crocheted puppets for every student that is unique to each personality. This year she made hats to their liking.
- Larry Ayres—has been a school bus driver at Kobussen Buses, Brodhead, for 9 years. Larry is a model driver with an exceptional safety record.
- Jeff Thompson—has been a school bus driver at Pulaski Community School District for 9 years. Jeff is a retired school teacher and had past school bus driving experience. He will be retiring from route driving, but will still be available as a substitute.
Latest from David George
- Post-Tropical Cyclone Olivia Causes Landslides on Hawaiian Islands
- Blue Bird Tender Offer to Buy up to $50 Million of its Capital Stock at $28
- Hurricane Florence: High Winds & Falling Trees Kill 2 in North Carolina
- U.S. is Now the No. 1 Crude Oil Producer in the World
- Calif. State Legislature OKs Bill to Start School Later