It is hard to attend any trade show, technician training, or bus-related event without hearing the terms “VW Funding” at least 5 times. Multiple presentations have been delivered, stories have been written, and speeches have been given on this topic. So instead of focusing on all of the technical details, the following high-level overview provides information on the VW settlement and state-provided funding.
Volkswagen was fined for violating the EPA Clean Air Act in 2015 and was issued a $14.9 billion fine. $4.9 billion has been allocated to zero emissions vehicles ($2 billion) and the emissions mitigation trust ($2.9 billion). Each state receives a portion of the $2.9 billion, based on VW diesel vehicles registered in the state, and has 3 to 10 years to allocate the funds at their discretion.
Key Upcoming Deadlines:
|Indiana||June 17, 2019||$9.83M available for repower and replacement of eligible old diesel powered on-road and nonroad vehicles and equipment.|
|Michigan||October 15, 2019||Grant program for replacement of old diesel buses with clean diesel and alternative fuels.|
Please visit cummins.com/schoolbuschoice for updates to future state initiatives
Cummins provides three options that are available for meeting the lower-NOx environment mitigation trust requirements: Clean diesel, near-zero and low NOx natural gas, plus a zero-emissions in-use battery electric system.
2019 Clean Diesel: Cummins B6.7 and L9
- Highly reliable and mature technology, with over 25-30 years of market experience
- Particulate emissions have been reduced by 90 percent in the past 25 years
- NOx emissions have been reduced by 95 percent in the past 15 years.
⇑ Torque and Power
⇓ Cost of Operation
Natural Gas: Cummins Westport B6.7N and L9N
- Lower fuel costs and biofuel capable
- Near-zero emissions and net-zero with renewable natural gas
- Diesel like torque and performance
- 80+ percent parts commonality with diesel
- Maintenance-free simple after-treatment system
Electrified Powertrain: PowerDrive 7000 EV
- Higher operational efficiencies than diesel and natural gas
- Quieter, simpler powertrain, with fewer mechanical parts than diesel and natural gas
- Reduced maintenance
- Zero emissions
For assistance in requesting Volkswagen settlement funding for your specific state, visit cummins.com/schoolbuschoice and provide your contact information.