ARLINGTON, Va. — The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety announced on Feb. 6 that Angela Sparks, who served as chair of its board of directors in 2019, will continue on in that position for the first six months of the year. Sparks is a vice president and actuary at State Farm Insurance Companies.
Dan Clapp has been elected to take the helm in July for the remainder of 2020.
The board voted to have Sparks stay on as chair after last year’s chair-elect, Hank Nayden, retired from GEICO Corporation, where he was vice president and general counsel. Clapp, an executive vice president at Shelter Insurance Companies, will serve as chair-elect until he takes over as chair. The new vice chair is Stan McNaughton, president and chief executive officer of PEMCO Insurance.
“We at State Farm are proud to support the lifesaving work of IIHS, and I look forward to leading the board for another six months,” Sparks said. “During this time of rapid changes in technology and new challenges in mobility, the Institute’s research plays a vital role in keeping safety at the forefront.”
“We’re grateful to Angela for agreeing to stay on as chair to help ensure a smooth transition,” says David Harkey, president of IIHS and HLDI. “We look forward to Dan’s leadership in the second half of the year.”
Sparks has been an IIHS board member since 2015. Clapp began representing Shelter on the board in 2012.
Other 2020 IIHS board members are:
- Kristina (Kriss) Barronton — VP of auto product line, USAA
- Charles M. Chamness — President and CEO of National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies
- Cody Cook — Senior VP of personal lines, Erie Insurance Group
- Todd Davis — VP of field product, Nationwide
- Brian Deephouse — VP of product management, Auto Club Enterprises
- Daniel Halsey — President, personal lines, The Hanover Insurance Group
- John Hardiman — Director of public affairs, NJM Insurance Group
- David Harkey — President, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Jim Litherland — Regional product manager, CHUBB
- Richard Lonardo — VP of MetLife
- William D. Loucks Jr. — President, 21st Century Insurance, Farmers Insurance Group
- Robert Lyon — President and CEO of Rockingham Insurance
- James MacPhee — President and COO of Liberty Mutual Insurance
- John McCaskill — Senior VP of property and casualty underwriting, American National
- Rob McDade — Senior VP of property casualty, COUNTRY Financial
- Ted Murphy — COO of Amica Mutual Insurance Company
- Marc Natrillo — Auto line lead, personal lines, The Hartford
- Tim Nee — COO of The Responsive Auto Insurance Company
- Steve Oakley — Senior VP of product management, and chief actuary, PURE Insurance
- Holly Reston — Senior executive, underwriting, North Carolina Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company
- David A. Sampson — President and CEO of American Property Casualty Insurance Association
- Duane Sanders — Executive VP and president, property and casualty division, Kemper Corporation
- Bill Westrate — Enterprise president, American Family Insurance
- Andrew Woods — VP of personal lines R&D of The Travelers Companies, Inc.
- John Xu — VP of actuarial, CSAA Insurance Group
- Floyd M. Yager — Senior VP of product management, Allstate Insurance Group
- Scott Ziegler — Business leader, Progressive Insurance