A Chesterfield school bus driver in Virginia was caught on a dashcam on May 28 swerving through an intersection and crashing into multiple cars, reported WTVR CBS 6. Luckily, nobody was injured.
The school bus reportedly had no students on board but was driving too fast when it approached a stopped car at an intersection. The video shows the driver attempting to avoid rear-ending the car in front of it by swerving to the right, striking that car plus an additional vehicle that was waiting to turn, the newscast said.
The 47-year-old school bus driver then drove through the red light and crashed into a street sign before coming to a stop. There was also a man mowing the grass in the median who froze in place and looked shocked by what was happening when he was nearly struck.
Chesterfield school officials reportedly had no additional comment, because the incident was classified as a personnel matter, but said the bus driver was headed to her afternoon pickups. The driver was given a summons for misdemeanor reckless driving and failure to maintain control.
- Related: Ala. Bill Extends School Bus Stop Arm Enforcement Statewide
- Related: AISD School Bus Stop-Arm Violations Top 1,000
- Related: Extended School Bus Stop Arm Decreases Illegal Passing
- Related: FMCSA Updates on Minimum Driver Training, Drug Testing
- Related: Miranda’s Law Formally Introduced in U.S. Congress
- Related: New Jersey Gov. Murphy Signs School Bus Safety Legislation
- Related: New Jersey Gov. Murphy Signs Three School Bus Bills
- Related: New School Bus Safety Legislation Formally Introduced in Congress
- Related: New York State School Bus Safety Legislation Advances
- Related: NYSBCA Calls on Legislature to Increase Fines for Illegal School Bus Passing
- Related: N.Y. School Bus Contractors Call for Bus Safety Legislation
- Related: N.Y. Tightens Drug, Alcohol Testing Rules for School Bus Drivers
- Related: School Bus Safety Legislation Introduced
- Related: School Bus Stop-Arm Cameras Unfair, Dallas Motorists Say
- Related: Stronger Penalties Proposed in Indiana School Bus Safety Legislation
- Related: Texas Bill Would Prohibit School Bus Stop-Arm Cameras