Day two of the National Pupil Transportation Association Summit and day one of the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services Conference proved to be exciting and thought-provoking.
- Related: Another Great Speaker at TSD; Early Bird Special Ends Friday
- Related: TSD Conference Highlights for Day 3 — Sunday, March 17
- Related: TSD Conference Highlights for Day 2 — Saturday, March 16
- Related: TSD Conference Highlights for Day 1 — Friday, March 15
- Related: Star Speaker Patrick Mulick Returns to TSD Conference
- Related: TSD Conference Speakers Set
The biggest event on Saturday was a series of live evacuation exercises held at the Lee Summit Fire Department, half an hour from downtown Kansas City. Two school buses were set on fire while a third was used to time volunteers on exit times, with and without seat belts. Look for more details on this event in the STN Show Reporter, which is available to read digitally on Monday.
Competitors for the titles of America’s Best School Bus Technician and Inspector participated in some training and exams at Lee’s Summit R7 School District.
Additionally, both NAPT and NASDPTS attendees heard Dr. Joseph O’Neil, professor of clinical pediatrics at the Indiana University School of Medicine, explain more about the new American Academy of Pediatrics best-practice paper on the transportation of students with special needs. Other NAPT sessions were on topics such as lessons learned from case law, how on-demand services affect transportation, purchasing vs. leasing buses, and analyzing the driver shortage.
- Related: California District Receives Donated School Bus Surveillance Systems After Fire
- Related: Fast-Acting Colorado Driver Puts out School Bus Fire
- Related: In the Business of Preventing School Bus Fires
- Related: Investigation Started Into N.C. School Buses Catching Fire
- Related: Kansas City School Bus Catches Fire, 3 Students Escape Uninjured
- Related: Mass. School Bus Catches Fire on Highway
- Related: New York School District Suffers Latest Bus Yard Fire
- Related: N.J. Driver Acts Fast in School Bus Fire
- Related: NTSB Calls for Fire Suppression Systems in All School Buses
- Related: On Fire for School Bus Safety
- Related: Red Cross Helps After School Bus Catches Fire
- Related: School Bus Catches Fire on Calif. Highway
- Related: School Bus Fire, Evacuation Exercise Held at NAPT, NASDPTS Conference
- Related: School Bus Fires
- Related: School Bus Fire in Florida, Hero Driver Safely Evacuates Kids
- Related: Students Escape as Alabama School Bus Gutted by Fire
- Related: Wiring to Blame in North Carolina School Bus Fires