A school bus was destroyed after it caught fire while carrying over two dozen people, reports The Enterprise.
- Related: California District Receives Donated School Bus Surveillance Systems After Fire
- Related: Fast-Acting Colorado Driver Puts out School Bus Fire
- Related: In the Business of Preventing School Bus Fires
- Related: Investigation Started Into N.C. School Buses Catching Fire
- Related: Kansas City School Bus Catches Fire, 3 Students Escape Uninjured
- Related: Mass. School Bus Catches Fire on Highway
- Related: New York School District Suffers Latest Bus Yard Fire
- Related: N.J. Driver Acts Fast in School Bus Fire
- Related: NTSB Calls for Fire Suppression Systems in All School Buses
- Related: On Fire for School Bus Safety
- Related: Red Cross Helps After School Bus Catches Fire
- Related: School Bus Catches Fire on Calif. Highway
- Related: School Bus Fire, Evacuation Exercise Held at NAPT, NASDPTS Conference
- Related: School Bus Fires
- Related: School Bus Fire in Florida, Hero Driver Safely Evacuates Kids
- Related: Students Escape as Alabama School Bus Gutted by Fire
- Related: Wiring to Blame in North Carolina School Bus Fires
The school bus was traveling down Interstate 495 on June 30 when law enforcement received the fire report around 4 p.m.
There were no students aboard the bus. It was carrying bicyclists who had just completed a ride for charity, though reports differ as to whether there were 15 or closer to 30 aboard.
The bus was pulled over and everyone aboard was able to disembark before anyone was injured, officials said. The cyclists had all been picked up by another bus by the time the fire department arrived on the scene, which CBS Boston said was within 10 minutes.
Once firefighters arrived, they put out the fire within 15 minutes, but it was too late for the school bus. Photos taken by the Middleboro Fire Department show the hood and tires melted, the motor completely revealed and the seats burned down to the frames.
Fire department officials said the cause of the fire was likely mechanical.